- India bids for airwaves crossed Rs 1 lakh crore or $18 billion, making the spectrum auction the biggest ever sale of spectrum by value.
- The auction has opened a number of new opportunities for subscribers in new circles for 3G services in 2100 Mhz band and LTE in the 850Mhz band.
- In addition,it is expected that the auction would also be an enabler for migration of the existing spectrum bands like 900Mhz to 3G and 1800Mhz band to LTE in a selective and phased manner.
- All these will be key enablers in realising the country’s “Digital India” vision, powering Smart Cities and building nationwide mobile broadband network.
- It is good to see that all key mobile operators in India have been able to successfully retain their existing spectrum and also extended new footprints in 900 MhZ and 2100 MhZ in several circles. This is good news for subscribers. This will help operators strengthen mobile broadband connectivity through expansion of 3G services, which in near to medium term will be the main vehicle of mobile broadband in India as we see.