In an effort to increase opportunities for differently abled students to pursue higher studies like M. Phil and PhD, the central government in the FY 2012-2013 launched a Central Sector Scheme called Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship (RGNF). The main objective behind this fellowship is to help students with disabilities to pursue research degrees in universities, research institutions and scientific institutes to help them take advantage of job opportunities like lectureship and other in various colleges and universities.
Scope of this scheme:
- Every year the scheme provides 200 fellowships (Junior Research Fellows-JRF).
- Reservation of 15% for SC and 7 ½% for ST for award of fellowships respectively under the scheme.
- It covers all universities/institutions recognized by University Grant Commission (UGC).
- The fellowship under this scheme is only available to differently abled students covered under the Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995.
- A differently abled individual willing to apply for the fellowship must obtain a disability certificate from the medical authority.
- UGC and Department of Disability Affair are the nodal agencies for implementing the scheme.
- UGC is responsible for selecting the beneficiaries while the Department of Disability Affair is responsible for distribution of the funds to the beneficiaries.
- Any student with disabilities who has got admission into courses of M. Phil/ PhD in a UGC recognized University or Academic/Research institution.
- Eligible candidates for this fellowship cannot receive fellowship/scholarship from any other government/university/academic institution.
- Candidates who are enrolled into full-time M. Phil and PhD courses are eligible for this scheme.
- Employees of any University/College/Educational Institution/Central/State/UT Government is excluded from obtaining this fellowship, even if they are on Study Leave or EOL to pursue M.Phil./Ph.D. course.
- NET/SLET is not mandatory to apply for this fellowship.
|Sl. No||Subjects where Fellowships are awarded||Amount (in ₹)|
|1||Fellowship in Science Humanities and Social Science (including Arts/Fine Arts)||₹25,000/- per month for initial 2 years (JRF)
₹28,000/- per month for the last 3 years remaining tenure (SRF)
|2||Fellowship in Engineering and Technology||₹25,000/- per month for initial two years (JRF)
₹28,000/- per month for remaining 3 years(SRF)
|3||Contingency for Humanities and Social Science (including Arts/Fine Arts)||₹10,000/- annually for initial 2 years
₹20,500/- annually for remaining duration
|4||Contingency for Science, Engineering & Technology||₹12,000/- per annum for initial 2 years
₹25,000/- per annum for remaining tenure
|5||Departmental assistance (All subjects)||₹3,000/- per annum per student to the host institute for providing infrastructure|
|6||Escort/Reader assistance (All subjects)||₹2,000/- monthly in cases of candidates with physical and visual disabilities|
After 2 years of JRF, if the progress in the research work of the beneficiary student is found satisfactory, his/her tenure is extended for a further period of 3 years as a Senior Research Fellow (SRF). Also, in case of non-satisfactory research work, his/her project can immediately be stopped.
Name of the Course
|Admissibility of JRF and SRF|
|M. Phil||2 years||2 years||NIL|
|M. Phil + PhD||5 years||2 years||Remaining 3 years|
|PhD||5 years||2 years||Remaining 3 years|
How to avail?
Online application for this academic year is closed. Visit UGC website for more details to apply for next year.