- The Ministry of Defence(MoD) had taken the call to relax certain norms for the recruitment of women to the Armed Forces and a final decision in this regard was expected within the next two months.
- There are as many as 3,298 lady officers working in the armed forces and the figures are set to soar in the near future, with states like Punjab taking a lead in this direction.
- Punjab CM, Badal has announced the state government’s intention to enhance the one- time grant for the recipient of Param Vir Chakra from Rs 30 lakh to Rs 2 crore, Mahavir Chakra from Rs 20 lakh to Rs 1 crore and Vir Chakra from Rs 15 lakh to Rs 50 lakh.
- He also promised to increase the travelling allowance admissible to war widows from Rs 150 to Rs 500 per month with immediate effect.
- In the case of death from Rs 2 lakh to Rs 5 lakh; in the case of disability of 75 per cent and above, from Rs 2 lakh to Rs 4 lakh and in the case of disability of 50 per cent and above from Rs 1 lakh to Rs 2 lakh.
Source: The New Indian Express