PM Modi launched IMPRINT (Impacting Research Innovation and Technology) India Initiative along with the President to provide a platform for research and innovation to grow. It is a joint initiative of Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) and Indian Institute of Science.
- IMPRINT is a platform to give boost to scientific research especially in areas where India depends on foreign countries, as the country plans to provide local technology.
- Main objectives of IMPRINT India are- a) to identify areas of immediate relevance to society which require innovation, b) to direct scientific research into those identified areas, c) to ensure higher funding support into these areas and d) to measure outcomes of the said research effort in impacting standard of living in both urban and rural areas.
- ₹1,000 crore has been allotted for this initiative.
- It will receive research proposals from various universities and review them to get the best of proposals for their scientific research purpose. IMPRINT India will also help the country to develop affordable home-grown technology.
- This initiative will focus on ten themes with each theme to be coordinated by an IIT/IITSc like-
|Health care||IIT Kharagpur|
|Computer science and ICT||IIT Kharagpur|
|Advance materials||IIT Kanpur|
|Water resources and river systems||IIT Kanpur|
|Sustainable Urban Design||IIT Roorkee|
|Nano-technology hardware||IIT Bombay|
|Environmental science and climate change||IISc Bangalore|
|Energy security||IIT Bombay|
- IMPRINT India aims to make immediate social impact through these selected themes.