Ministry of Culture has been administering Scheme of Financial Assistance to Persons Distinguished in Letters, Arts and Such other Walks of life who may be in indigent circumstances and their dependents since 1961. The scope of the Scheme is being extended to provide for a “NATIONAL ARTISTES WELFARE FUND” that will permit grant of special financial assistance to the Artistes and dependents of the Artists, covered under this Scheme, in case of hospitalization and other exigencies requiring urgent action.
The objective of this fund shall be to provide financial help to the artists who are getting financial assistance under this Scheme and after death of the Artist, his/her dependents, as under :
- When an artist expires and his next of kin deserves to be assisted.
- When an artist who is covered under the Scheme needs one-time financial assistance for medical treatment/illness and is not in a position to earn his livelihood and support his/her children and / or unable to meet expenses of his treatment.
- When an artist who needs financial assistance for sudden physical disability.
Eligibility for Assistance:
- The Artists who are getting financial assistance under this Scheme and after death of the Artist, dependent on the artist.
- On the death of the artist, the mode of financial assistance to dependent family members will be as under :
- Spouse – After the death of the artist, financial assistance, in case of necessity, will first be granted to the spouse of the Artist.
- For dependents – Till marriage or employment or upto the age of 21 years, whichever is earlier.
Limits of Financial Assistance:
The financial assistance granted shall be of non-recurring nature and the amount of assistance on any occasion shall be restricted to the following limits:
- In cases of death of the Artist– Rs. 2 lakhs
- For medical treatment– Rs. 1 lakh
- When an artist who needs financial assistance for sudden physical disability– Rs. 50,000/-
Administration of the Fund:
The overall administration of the Fund will be vested in the Ministry of Culture. The assistance will be sanctioned by the Ministry or the concerned Zonal Cultural Centres (ZCCs) on the recommendation of Expert Committee(s).
For More Information: Click Here