- Nuclear submarines are strategic assets and typically stay deep inside the sea ready to launch in case of nuclear strike.
- The indigenously made nuclear submarine – INS Arihant – will fire its first missile, also made in India, this year to formally complete the nuclear triad for India.
- The firing of the indigenously made missile is capable of delivering a nuclear pay load, an important milestone for India’s defence production and it signifies the completion of nuclear triad.
- India is also likely to carry out a third test for Agni- V this December, the missile has a range of over 5500 kilometres.
- By perfecting this technology, India will join the elite group of countries that have Inter-Continental Ballistics Missiles.