- A senior official from the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) informed that the Rs 951-crore exercise is expected to link the National Population Register (NPR) with Aadhaar numbers.
- The core purpose behind the entire operation is to avoid duplication in collecting biometrics and also to get a check on how many Aadhaar numbers still needs to be issued.
- The home ministry has approved this exercise although there is no Cabinet approval to its Resident Identity Card (RIC) project.
- An official said that this is not an exercise to determine citizenship but to update NPR record of the usual residents of the country.
- Biometrics of nearly 82 crore people have been collected so far by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).
- The details of the person will be cross checked and in case the person has an Aadhaar number, the same will be recorded and seeded into the existing NPR data.