Airbus has begun sourcing components for almost all its jets from the country and aims to take its cumulative sourcing from there to $2 billion in the next five years.
- Airbus is making a large number of products either directly or through its supply partners, where collectively more than 5,000 people are employed.
- The company’s latest A380 aircraft, which is being displayed here, has got evacuation slides for all its eight doors made in Bangalore while there are many other products that the company is getting made in India.
- There are broadly four areas of focus for Airbus in India, engineering, services for customers, aerospace partnerships and R&D innovation. Some of the common themes across all these focus areas are skill development, jobs and getting and transmitting the know-how.
- Airbus’ own centre in Bangalore for engineering has got more than 350 engineers working in core engineering functions while there are over 2,000 people across the supply chain in this segment.
- The target for the next five years is to source $2 billion worth products from India cumulatively up to 2020.
Source: NDTV Profit