Keeping in mind the new Economic Policy, West Bengal Government formulated its Industrial Policy Resolution with a view to secure faster and balanced economic development with the active cooperation of the private sector.
Key Features of the Policy:
- Appropriate foreign technology and investment are welcomed on mutually advantageous terms.
- The Government recognizes the importance and key role of Private, Public & Joint sectors in providing accelerated growth and in improvement and upgradation of industrial as well as social infrastructure.
- Based upon the available opportunities and the potential of this region, the State Govt, has identified certain segments of industries as thrust areas for special attention viz.
- Petro-chemicals & Downstream Industries
- Electronics & Information Technology
- Leather & Leather Products
- Iron & Steel, Metallurgical & Engineering
- Food Processing, Edible Oil & Vegetable
- Processing & Aquaculture
- Development of Medicinal Plants, Rubber, Palm Oil & tea
- Gems & Jewellery
- Promotion of Tourism & Tourism related activities
- Manufacture of Basic Drugs, Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals
- Optimal Utilization of Minerals & Development Of Mine Based Industries