- The Teesta deal was set to be inked during the then Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s visit to Bangladesh in September 2011 but was postponed at the last minute due to objections by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
- Teesta water is crucial for Bangladesh, especially in the leanest period from December to March when the water flow often temporarily comes down to less than 1,000 cusecs from 5,000 cusecs.
PM visit to Dhaka:
- In a public address organised by the Dhaka University, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said he is positive about finding a solution to the issue of water
- The birds, air and water do not have to have visas at all. So, water cannot be a political issue so a humanitarian approach should be applied in this context.
- Expressing satisfaction over the deal, both prime ministers signed a total of 22 pacts of deal.