In a bid to provide excellent opportunities to young Indian researchers (permanent faculty) to interact with the American academic/scientific community and get first hand information of the developments on the international levels, UGC launched Raman Fellowships for Post Doctoral Research for Indian Scholars in USA.
The objective behind this fellowship is to provide the young scholars an opportunity to have international collaborative research opportunities, training in advanced techniques and technologies in emerging fields, to further their research capacity and ability to contribute to higher education with global perspective and forging long-term relationships with distinguished experts in these fields in USA.
|An eligible fellow is entitled to a monthly fellowship of||$ 3000 (USD)
|One-time personal contingency grant to cover expenses of visa, airport transfer, medical insurance etc.
|₹ 50,000 (maximum amount)|
The fellow is also permitted to travel within USA to attend conferences or visit other institutes of interest with the approval of the advisor at the host institute. Therefore he/she is entitled to avail one of the following grants for this purpose–
|For fellowship period up to 6months||Grant of $ 600|
|For fellowship period beyond 6 months
|Grant of $ 1200|
Air-tickets of economy class for all the selected Fellows would be purchased by the respective university/institution for shortest route Directly by Air India only from their place of work in India to the place of the American host institute and back. The actual ticket amount would be reimbursed by UGC to the institution for the same on submitting all the relevant documents duly certified by the US institution.
Number of Fellowships:
Duration of the fellowship:
- Minimum for 6 months
- Maximum for 12 months
- Must be a permanent teacher in a university/institution recognized by UGC
- Must have secured at least 60% marks or equivalent in the post-graduate degree
- Age criteria- Must be under 40 years of age (for general) and 45 years for SC/ST/OBC/Women/Differently abled
- Must possess a PhD degree in respective academic discipline- Humanities, Social Sciences, Natural Science, Engineering, Technology and Agricultural Sciences or MD/MS/PhD in Medical Sciences
- Must provide proof of having carried out independent research work published in peer reviewed journals
Areas of work:
The proposals should address one of the following areas-
- Energy, especially renewable energy
- Environment, especially climate change
- Health, especially public health
- Food security
- Information security
- Urban Planning and Development
How to apply?
Application for 2015 is over. Visit UGC Website for information on 2016 application