- The Vizag railwy station will be WiFi-enabled, Divisional Railway Manager Chandralekha Mukherjee has said.
- Two more escalators and two lifts will soon be in place in the A-1 grade Visakhapatnam railway station.
- On complaints of non-functioning of the existing two escalators, she attributed it to children playing with the red (stop) button and the escalators remaining in locked position.
- Mukherjee appealed to the public not to allow their children to play with the red button. Reacting to the suggestion that a porter be stationed near the escalator, Ms. Mukherjee said there were employees to oversee the functioning of the escalator but they could not be expected to keep a watch round the clock.
- Ms. Mukherjee said that inspection was already done for doubling of the Visakhapatnam – Kirandul line.
- The Passenger Facilitation Fortnight, conducted by the Railways, concluded on Tuesday.
- Recalling her interaction with passengers during her travel during the last two weeks at a media conference, Ms. Mukherjee said that passengers were facing problems due to overcrowding in the unreserved coaches.
- There were also complaints about food going out of stock at the railway canteens at stations and eunuchs forcing passengers to give them money.
- Action would be initiated to prevent harassment of passengers.