- Recently the Ministry of Power, decided to replace all conventional lights in eighty four Ghats of Varanasi with LED lights.
- Objective was to enhance illumination of the Ghats, reduce energy consumption.
- A study conducted by Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) shows that with incandescent lamps being replaced with LEDs, the cost would be reduced by over 70 per cent.
- Positioning up the LED lights has brought down the annual energy consumption to 0.47 million units from 1.68 million units.
- About 1.21 million units of energy would be saved every year.
- 100 per cent public had positive opinion regarding LED lighting compared to old incandescent conventional lighting.
Source: Modi Government Updates