- Punjab government could become the first state to hire the third gender as conductors or safety officers in buses.
- Navdeep Asija, Punjab government’s traffic adviser, said he had put across the idea during the hearing of a case on public transport before the high court last week as part of verbal discussions on making buses safer.
- The case is primarily about safety of kids in school buses but over time it has become more broad-based looking at safety in buses.
- In 2010, the Punjab government created a separate category in application forms under which third gender people can apply for government vacancies.
- The proposal supports the Supreme Court ruling that, the spirit of the Constitution is to provide equal opportunity to every citizen to grow and attain their potential, irrespective of caste, religion or gender.