- Google India, in partnership with Tata Trust announced the launch of an initiative named ‘Internet Saathi’ which aims to impart Internet literacy to women in rural India and help them use the technology in their daily lives.
- With this joint venture, Anandan,VP and MD of Google Southeast Asia and India, hopes to provide easy access and digital education to women in rural India.
- The programme will employ 1,000 specially designed ‘Internet cycle carts’, installed with a waterproof box and a portable charger for the digital devices.
- The cycle carts will travel from village to village, providing training on Internet usage.
- Sandeep Menon, chief marketing officer, Google India. said the idea is to teach the basic aspects of the Internet, and stimulate interest and demand, after which the women will find their own ways to log on to the World Wide Web.