- With PSUs failing to meet the deadline of constructing new toilets in schools, Odisha government has asked district collectors to take up such projects and complete them by July 31.
- The Centre wanted feedback as the Prime Minister will inform the countrymen about the toilet project on this Independence Day.
- Odisha government had estimated requirement of construction and renovation of 44,002 toilets in schools.
- While Odisha Primary Education Programme Authority (OPEPA) was assigned to construct 13,049 toilets, PSUs were supposed to complete 30,953 toilets.
- A standard design for construction of such low cost functional toilets has been sent to all districts and the funds for the purpose will be provided through OPEPA.
- Services of District Education Officers, Block Education Officers and other officers of School & Mass education department can be utilised for coordination, supervision and monitoring of the works.