- Surat became the first city of the country to launch a picture intelligence unit, comprising real time facial recognition, number plate recognition and vehicle speed violation system.
- The system will help to curb crime as it will send an alert with a captured picture of an offender and number plate of his vehicle to a commanding control room at the city police commissioner’s office.
- CCTV installed at 113 locations will give real time information about any passing vehicles and people in front of those cameras.
- The database of the system has around 20,000 pictures, including images of petty criminals of the city and global terrorists.
- The systems will work with forensic technology in such a way that even if an offender changes his get-up or does plastic surgery to change his face, he will be easily recognised.