- Minister for road transport, highways and shipping Nitin Gadkari has urged the states to join hands with the Centre for creation of joint ventures for development of inland waterways.
- States would have to provide 26 per cent of the equity while the balance would be given by the Centre.
- The minister said that usage of inland waterways as a means for transportation of cargo and passengers was very low compared to China, Korea, France and the UK.
- NDA government had taken a serious view on the development of inland waterways, adding that declaration of 101 national waterways (NW) were awaiting Cabinet approval.
- Regarding the Haldia-Allahabad NW, minister said that the World Bank had given an assistance of Rs 4,500 crore for maintenance of 3-metre draft along the Haldia-Varanasi corridor.
Source:The Economic Times