- Sony plans to assemble its Xperia smartphones in India and manufacture a couple of sub-. `10,000 models, specifically designed for the local market.
- Sony plans to increasing revenue by boosting mobile phone sales, with the country poised to become the world’s second largest smartphone market by 2017.
- Sony has globally decided to vacate the entry level smartphone segment, but it has realised that it needs to have a couple of handsets in emerging markets since that segment accounts for more than 70% of industry sales.
- Local assembling and manufacturing of smartphones provide the makers duty benefit of 6% to 6.5%, which is aimed at encouraging the government’s Make in India initiative.
- The TV and smartphone businesses contribute equally to Sony India’s revenue at 40% each.Once smartphone production goes on stream, Sony will join the ranks of HTC, Xiaomi and Lenovo which recently started local production in India, apart from Samsung which manufactures its entire line up of smartphones in India.