A Science City shall be conceptually similar to a Science Centre. However, it will belarger in dimension with a focus in frontier areas of Science and Technology and edutainment shall be financially self sustainable. It shall be conceptualized in such a manner that it is attractive and useful to students, families, tourist and general public. It will use state-of-the-art communication tools and technology in its presentation.
- To portray the growth of science and technology and their applications in industry and human welfare, with a view to develop scientific attitude and temper and to create, inculcate and sustain a general awareness amongst the people.
- To popularize science and technology in cities, urban and rural areas for the benefit of students and for the common man by organizing exhibitions, seminars, popular lectures, science camps and various other programs.
- To promote and enhance public understanding of the culture of science and technology.
- To supplement science education given in schools and colleges and to organize various out-of-school educational activities to foster a spirit of scientific enquiry and creativity among the students.
- To design, develop and fabricate science museum exhibits, demonstration equipment and scientific teaching aids for science education and popularization of science.
- To organize training programmes for science teachers /students /young entrepreneurs/ technicians/ physically challenged/ housewives and others on specific subjects of science, technology and industry.
Eligibility criteria and infrastructure:
- The location of the Science City should be either a State capital or a city of the State having a sizeable population of not less than 50 Lakhs. While deciding location for a Science City the primary concern shall be to ensure that it can draw at least 10 lakh visitors per year for self-sustainability.
- The new Science Cities shall be set up preferably only in those places where no major Science Centre exists. However, in locations where footfall to the science centre is substantial i.e., it qualifies for a science city, the science centre could be upgraded to a Regional Science City or a separate Science City could be set up depending upon the importance of the place.
- The State Government will provide the following infrastructure facility free of cost:
- At least 25 acres of centrally located and easily accessible fully developed land without any encumbrances; (Although to do justice to exhibits, facilities especially those requiring open spaces and future expansion 30 acres would be preferable);
- Road connectivity,
- Telecommunication facilities,
- Power supply, water supply etc.
- Sewerage and storm water drainage system,
- Adequate public/private transport facilities.
- The State Governments and Societies / Authorities promoted by them for the purpose shall be eligible for financial assistance from the Central Government as per the norms.
- The State Government shall also make suitable provision for providing water, electricity, local taxes etc. at concessional rates as available to the educational institutions
NB: The above criteria may be relaxed and /or modified in very special cases by the Govt. of India for NE region.
- The financial participation of the Central Government for new Science Cities will be limited to 6600.00 lakhs only (60% out of a total of 11000.00 lakhs).
- The State Government shall arrange for the balance fund of 44.00 Crore (40% out of a total of 110.00 crore )plus a 25 acre of land made available free of cost for the purpose of setting up the Science City. State contribution of 44.00 crore may be raised either by themselves or by a private/ corporate agencies or a combination of both.
- At the beginning of each year, the State Government shall provide their share for the year (part of 44.00 crore) up front and the Central Government shall also release proportionate amount out of their share at one go (on a pro-rata basis for 60:40 sharing of 110.00 crore).
- However for NE region and island territories the sharing of the capital cost shall be at 90:10 respectively between the Govt. of India and the respective State Governments.
For More Information: Click Here