- One of the greatest threats to our contemporary society is the menace of skewed sex ratio.
- Female foeticide is so rampant in certain parts of India.
- Especially Haryana, where the ratio is dismally low (the sex ratio at birth was 871).
- Pitching for an initiative to end discrimination against girls and improving the sex ratio,one of the village panchayats in Haryana has come up with a contest called “Selfie with daughter.”
- Bibipur village panchayat has launched this contest where one is supposed to click a selfie with their daughter and send it to village panchayat.
- Also,the best of the three selfies would be awarded cash prizes and a trophy.
- The winning entry will get a trophy,a certificate and Rs 2100 cash prize on June 19.
- Village panchayat said that,they have received over 100 selfies with daughters from across the state.
- They further added that ,usually we don’t see many pictures of daughters in people’s house.
- The objective of the contest is to increase importance of daughters in their homes.