Skill Development Initiative (SDI) Scheme
Government of India, Ministry of Labour & Employment launched a Modular Employable Skills (MES) under Skill Development Initiative (SDI) Scheme through Directorate General of Employment & Training in May 2007.┬á Under this scheme, training to earlier school leavers and existing workers specially in a unorganised sector are to be trained for employable skills.
- To provide vocational training to school leavers, existing workers, ITI graduates, etc. to improve their employability by optimally utilizing the infrastructure available in Govt., private institutions and the Industry. Existing skills of the persons can also be tested and certified under this scheme.
- To build capacity in the area of development of competency standards, course curriculum, learning material and assessment standards in the country.
- Priority will be given to covering those above the age of 14 years who have been or withdrawn as child labour to enable them to learn employable skills in order to get gainful employment.
- Workers seeking certification of their skills acquired informally
- Workers and ITI graduates seeking skill up gradation
- Early school drop-outs and unemployed
- Previously child labour and their families
- Demand driven short term training courses based on Modular Employable Skills (MES) decided in consultation with Industry. MES is the ΓÇÌminimum skills setΓÇÕ which is sufficient for gainful employment.
- Central government facilitates and promote training while industry, private sector and State Governments provide training to the persons.
- Flexible delivery mechanism (part time, weekends, full time, onsite/ offsite) to suitneeds of various target groups.
- Different levels of programmes (Foundation level as well as skill upgradation) to meet demands of various target groups.
- The services of existing or retired faculty or guest faculty are being utilized.
- Courses are available for persons having completed 5th standard.
For Details: Click Here