Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMSKY)
HonΓÇÕble President in 16 th Lok Sabha indicated that ΓÇ£Each drop of water is precious. Government is committed to giving high priority to water security. It will complete the long pending irrigation projects on priority and launch the ΓÇÌPradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee YojanaΓÇÕ with the motto of ΓÇÌHar Khet Ko PaaniΓÇÕ. There is a need for seriously considering all options including linking of rivers, where feasible; for ensuring optimal use of our water resources to prevent the recurrence of floods and drought.
The overreaching vision of Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY) will be to ensure access to some means of protective irrigation to all agricultural farms in the country, to produce ΓÇÌper drop more cropΓÇÕ, thus bringing much desired rural prosperity.
- Achieve convergence of investments in irrigation at the field level (preparation of district level and, if required, sub district level water use plans).
- Enhance the physical access of water on the farm and expand cultivable area under assured irrigation (Har Khet ko pani),
- Integration of water source, distribution and its efficient use, to make best use of water through appropriate technologies and practices.
- Improve on-farm water use efficiency to reduce wastage and increase availability both in duration and extent,
- Enhance the adoption of precision-irrigation and other water saving technologies (More crop per drop).
- Enhance recharge of aquifers and introduce sustainable water conservation practices
- Ensure the integrated development of rainfed areas using the watershed approach towards soil and water conservation, regeneration of ground water, arresting runoff, providing livelihood options and other NRM activities.
- Promote extension activities relating to water harvesting, water management and crop alignment for farmers and grass root level field functionaries.
- Explore the feasibility of reusing treated municipal waste water for periurban agriculture, and
- Attract greater private investments in irrigation. This will in turn increase agricultural production and productivity and enhance farm income.
Programme Components PMKSY will have following programme components:
- Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme(AIBP)
- PMKSY (Har Khet ko Pani)
- PMKSY (Per Drop More Crop)
- PMKSY (Watershed Development)
Instead of incremental budgeting, PMKSY will adopt a dynamic annual fund allocation methodology that mandates States to allocate more funds to irrigation sectors for becoming eligible to access PMKSY funds. For this purpose:
- A State will become eligible to access PMKSY fund only if it has prepared the District Irrigation Plans (DIP) and State Irrigation Plan (SIP), excepting for the initial year, and the expenditure in water resource development for agriculture sector in the year under consideration is not less than baseline expenditure.
- States will be given additional weightage for levying charges on water and electricity for irrigation purpose, so as to ensure sustainability of the programme.
- Inter State allocation of PMKSY fund will be decided based on
- share of percentage of unirrigated area in the State vis-├á-vis National average including prominence of areas classified under Dessert Development Programme (DDP) and Drought Prone Area Development Programme (DPAP) and
- increase in percentage share of expenditure on water resource development for agriculture sector in State Plan expenditure in the previous year over three years prior to it (iii) improvement in irrigation efficiency in the state.
State Agriculture Department will be the Nodal Department for implementation of PMKSY. All communication between Ministry of Agriculture (MOA) and State Government would be with and through the nodal department.
However, the implementing departments for the four components like AIBP, PMKSY(Har Khet Ko Pani), PMKSY (Per drop more crop) and PMKSY(Watershed Development) will be decided by the respective programme Ministry/Department.
Cost Norm & Pattern of Assistance:
Technical requirements / standards, pattern of assistance etc. for activities of respective components like AIBP, PMKSY (Har Khet Ko Pani), PMKSY (Per drop more crop) and PMKSY (Watershed Development) will be as per the existing guidelines of the respective Ministries/Departments or as per revised norms including that of additional activities introduced, to be issued by the respective ministries/departments with the approval of concerned Union Minister.
For More Details: Click Here