Name of the scheme: Scheme for strengthening of Rural Haats- Financing through Panchayat Raj Institutions (PRIs)
Purpose: The scheme envisages PRIs like Grama or Taluk panchayats to develop a new rural haat or improve an existing rural haat in their jurisdiction on pieces of land clearly owned or being transferred to them for the said development.
- Assistance of a maximum of Rs. 5 lakh in the form of a grant is provided to meet the cost of infrastructure / amenities in the haat like open retail platforms, open shelter against sun and rain over these platforms, power, drinking water and sanitation facilities and fencing of the premises.
- Assistance is provided to cover 90% of the total estimated expenses, balance being met by the concerned PR institution.
Details of the scheme:
- The clearance for the Panchayat’s proposal from higher PR authorities including the enabling provision in the PR Act is compulsory.
- Panchayat can mobilise additional sources for its proposals from Zilla Panchayat, State Government etc.
- An important criteria for extending the assistance from NABARD is that the land owned and proposed to be developed by the concerned Panchayat as a new Rural Haat should atleast be 1000 Sq. m in area. For improving an existing rural haat, the said criterion is not insisted upon.
Release of the grant:
The release of the assistance will be in installments based on progress of the work and the verification of the same by NABARD.