- To make up flagging warship numbers, the Indian Navy is initiating the purchase of three Grigorivich -class frigates (Project 1135.6) from Russia.
- Those earlier vessels were built in Russia, in Yantar Shipyard at Kaliningrad, on the Baltic Sea.
- Just two Indian shipyards have ever built a frigate – Mazagon Dock Ltd, Mumbai (MDL) and Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers, Kolkata (GRSE).
- With these two occupied with building seven stealth frigates under Project 17A, Yantar will partner a private Indian shipyard.
- Russian experts have evaluated three private yards for their potential to build these frigates: Larsen & Toubro’s Katupalli shipyard, at Ennore, Tamil Nadu; Pipavav Shipyard in Gujarat; and Cochin Shipyard Ltd (CSL) in Kochi, Kerala.
- India paid about $1 billion for the first three Talwar-class frigates.