“At present, more than 17.5 crore bank accounts have been opened under the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY). More than Rs 22,000 crore have been deposited by the people in their bank accounts opened under the PMJDY,” the Finance Ministry said.
Milestones achieved under PMJDY:
- Banks have opened 17.74 Crore accounts under PMJDY with deposit of more than 22000 crores.
- Aadhaar has been seeded in 41.82% of account opened under PMJDY.
- To ensure universal banking access more than 1.26 lakhs, Bank Mitras have been deployed with online devices capable of e-KYC based account opening and interoperable payment facility.
- One Lakh Thirty Thousand and Twelve Mega Financial Literacy camps were organized by banks under PMJDY in coordination with various agencies and 89876 Financial Literacy counters, to spread awareness on PMJDY, use of RuPay cards etc. 147418 students in 2567 schools/collage were imparted training on Financial literacy from September 2014 to April 2015(Source: Banks).
- More than 10 lakhs accounts have been found eligible for Overdraft facility. Out of this overdraft facility has been availed by 164962 account holders.
- Eight Hundred and Forty Seven Claims of Life cover of Rs.30000 and 389 Claims of accident insurance cover of Rs. 1 lakh have been successfully paid.
- As on 22nd August, 2015, 8.17 crore beneficiaries have been enrolled under the Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana and 2.76 crore have been enrolled under Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana. 6.83 lakh account holders have been enrolled under Atal Pension Yojana.
- Zero balance accounts in PMJDY have declined from 76% to 45.74% from September 2014 to 19th August 2015.