- The Chennai corporation has decided to procure three robotic multi-purpose excavators to desilt the city storm water drains and remove water hyacinth and garbage from the waterways.
- With the Supreme Court ruling that humans should not be employed for desilting and cleaning toxic drains, the machines will be pressed into operation soon.
- The excavators will each be purchased at a cost of 9.6 crore.
- Excavators will complement the larger Amphibian Vehicle, which will be procured at a cost of 9.97 crore.
- The Amphibian Vehicle will be employed for cleaning drains and waterways having width lesser than 4 metres.
- The robotic excavators can clean drains having width lesser than 3.5 metres.
- The excavator can perform the task of both an excavator and the dredger and is controlled by one person.
- The machine moves on wheels, making it easier to bring it at narrow work sites.
- The Robotic Multipurpose Excavator, which is shaped like an octopus, can adjust its legs to position itself in tricky spots.
Source:The Times Of India