Name of the scheme: Rajiv Gandhi Scheme for Empowerment of Adolescent Girls (Rgseag) – ‘Sabla’
- Enable the adolescent girls for self-development and empowerment
- Improve their nutrition and health status.
- Promote awareness about health, hygiene, nutrition, Adolescent Reproductive and Sexual Health (ARSH) and family and child care.
- Upgrade their home-based skills, life skills and tie up with National Skill Development Program (NSDP) for vocational skills
- Mainstream out of school AGs into formal/non formal education
- Provide information/guidance about existing public services such as PHC, CHC, Post Office, Bank, Police Station, etc.
The scheme would be implemented using the platform Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS) through Anganwadi Centres (AWCs).
- The Scheme would cover adolescent girls in the age group of 11-18 years under all ICDS projects in selected 200 districts in all the States/UTs in the country.
- The target group would be subdivided into two categories age wise from 11-15 and from 15-18 years.
- The school going girls would meet at the AWC at least twice a month and more frequently during vacations/holidays, where they would receive life skill education, nutrition and health education, awareness about other socio-legal issues etc.
- This would give an opportunity for mixed group interaction between in-school and out-of-school girls, motivating the latter to join school.
An integrated package of services would be provided to AGs which includes:
- Nutrition provision
- Iron and Folic Acid (IFA) supplementation
- Health check-up and Referral services
- Nutrition & Health Education (NHE)
- Counseling/Guidance on family welfare, ARSH, child care practices and home management
- Life Skill Education and accessing public services
- Vocational training for girls aged 16 and above under National Skill Development Program (NSDP)
Cost of the project:
Rs. 3.8 lakh per project per annum would be provided by the Government of India to States/UTs which includes –
- Cost of training kit at each AWC,
- Nutrition and health education,
- Life Skill Education,
- Vocational training (tie up with NSDP),
- Cost -funds for transportation, printing of registers, Health cards and referral slips
For more information, click here