- Indian Railways will join hands with ISRO to get online satellite images for improving safety and increasing efficacy.
- Geospatial services will be available from satellite-assisted navigational support through the GPS aided geo-augmented navigation (GAGAN) system of ISRO.
- The MoU will facilitate getting images and communications through the satellite system. While the images will help in mapping the area, communications will enable the introduction of wi-fi service in trains in a larger way.
- The technology will come in handy at the time of accidents when it can be used to ascertain the exact location of trains and the topography.
- Besides, it will also help railways in developing solutions for safety at unmanned level crossings with remote sensing facility.
- Remote sensing system can be used to warn road users by activating the hooters before the arrival of trains at unmanned level crossings, he said.
- The satellite images will also be used for geo-fencing of stations for paperless ticketing system.