- Railways will be setting up first-of-its-kind plants at New Delhi and Jaipur stations for disposal of solid waste in environmental-friendly manner and generation of energy from the garbage.
- The plants are proposed to be set up under the Waste to Energy Project of the Railways.
- There will be two plants, first-of-its-kind in railways, for disposal of municipal solid waste (MSW) generated at stations as well as conversion of MSW into electricity and synthetic gas.
- The proposed capacity for handling waste is 20 tons per day a New Delhi and 5 tons per day at Jaipur station area. Railways will provide 1000 sq metre land on licence fee basis in the vicinity for setting up the plant.
- Railways generate a substantial amount of solid waste by passengers, visitors, vendors and staff. The solid waste consists of biodegradable as well as non-biodegradable materials.