• Indian Railways plan to e-auction contracts for redevelopment of about 100 railway stations. E-auction route being used for the first time in the history of Indian Railways for redevelopment of stations using Public Priavate Partnership(PPP).
• Several major stations are planned to be converted into world class transit facility by private companies.
• The number 100 and the list of stations is not yet finalized.
• PM Modi recently stated that he invited French companies to explore commercial opportunities in Indian Railways. India also hopes that some Japanese companies may be interested in the project.
• UPA government had also planned to renovate major railway stations with about Rs 10,000 crore of private funds. However, private players stayed away as they were not convinced about the viability of projects.