- Sunday morning, Sunil Jaglan, Panchayat head of Bibipur village in Haryana posted a status update on his Facebook account, that he is going to listen to honourable Prime Minister’s Mann Ki Baat on the radio.
- Then Jaglan heard the Prime Minister call out his name for special applause, when he sat at the Sunday chaupal, with about 10 other villagers.
- PM said that, Jaglan started the Selfie With Daughter initiative, which created a storm that all fathers felt like clicking selfies with their daughters and posting it on social media.
- The PM then asked more people to post selfies, to boost the pride in the girl child.
- Jaglan announced Beti Bachao, Selfie Banao campaign, on June 19 his birthday, by posting a selfie with his own daughter Nandini.
- Jaglan has launched 100 programmes on women’s empowerment since he became a sarpanch in 2010.
- Jaglan set up a Unmarried Men’s Collective to highlight Haryana’s abysmal sex ratio of 841 females to 1000 males at birth.
- In 2012, he held the first women’s khap panchayat, which decided to charge with murder those found killing female feotuses.
Source: The Economic Times