- Besides launching the Handloom day, the Prime Minister will also present Sant Kabir awards and National Awards for handloom weavers for the years 2012, 2013 and 2014 on the occasion.
Points PM stressed upon
- Fashion and design education in India also needs to be re-oriented
- Sale of khaadi has gone up by 60% as compared to same period last year
- The handloom sector has inherent strengths that we need to market
- Innovative design backed by good marketing is essential for promotion of hand looms
- Government is committed to extend robust social security cover to weaver families
- Young consumers are buying extensively from online. So, the scope of e-commerce for sale of handloom products should be enlarged
- Film industry should take up the initiative to promote handloom products in their movies.
- PM Modi urges people to use handloom in daily lives. He stresses on the importance of making it popular among the youth. PM congratulated the Tamil Nadu government for hosting such event.