- NDA government wants to revive National Council for Tribal Welfare(NCTW ) initiated by the Congress-led UPA government in 2010.
- This council takes care of monitoring and planning of tribal welfare schemes.
- Tribal affairs ministry prepared a note for reviving the council. As per the guideline submitted it will be chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and have tribal affairs minister Jual Oram , chief ministers of all Schedule V and Schedule VI states that have sizeable tribal populations as members.
- Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Telangana, Maharashtra, Odisha, Himachal Pradesh, Gujarat, Assam, Meghalaya, Tripura and Mizoram are the states that have considerable tribal population.
- Certain percentage of total outlay is kept aside under the tribal sub-plan by Central ministries and state governments, this money has to be spent on tribal welfare schemes, but this fund remains unutilized or being diverted to general scheme