Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday inaugurated the three-day ‘Krishi Unnati Mela’- the National Level Agriculture Fair-cum-Exhibition at the Pusa Campus of New Delhi.
- The prime focus of this mela or fair is to provide information on new farms, technologies and schemes/ policies of government including crop insurance scheme to help farmers’ income go double within next few years.
- The national fair also had separate workshops regarding major agriculture related schemes like Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana, Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana, e-agriculture marketing, integrated farming system, soil health and livestock issues. The whole three-day affair has been telecast live at the block panchayat level and that too for the first time.
- ‘Krishi Unnati Mela’ is jointly organized by the Department of Agriculture, Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Government of India and Indian Agriculture Research Institute (IARI), Pusa, New Delhi at Indian Agriculture Research Institute from 19th-21st March, 2016.
- PM Modi conferred ‘Krishi Karman Awards’ to eight states namely Madhya Pradesh, Odisha, Meghalaya, Haryana, Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh, Tamil Nadu and West Bengal (for the season 2014-2015) as well as to progressive farmers who have made exceptional contributions in the field of agriculture. The commendation awards were given to three states namely Himachal Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh and Goa.
- The Prime Minister also visited ‘Theme Pavilion’-one of the major attractions of the fair which showcased the entire list of things happening in the agriculture sector including various government initiatives and schemes. Also, apart from this, live demonstration of agriculture and horticultural crops animal husbandry, innovative technologies and farm mechanisation in big plots took place.
(Source: Business Standard )