- Various ministries have released close to Rs 44,000 crore without getting utilization certificates of grants given to organizations, resulting in spending without any evidence of gains flowing to the beneficiaries.
- The concern has been flagged by the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG).
- The numbers would be much higher as at least 13 ministries did not share information with the federal auditor.
- Some of the utilization certificates which are due date back to almost four decades.
- During years of fiscal strain the expenditure department in the finance ministry exercises strict control on release of funds.
- Several ministries have protested the government’s decision to decentralize spending and do away with a majority of centrally-sponsored schemes, leaving it to states to decide based on their development needs.
- The argument has been that priority areas would be ignored by states and crucial human development parameters would suffer.