- India may soon come up with efficiency ratings for all establishments along the Ganga.
- ‘Nirmal Ganga Rating’ is in the works to assess industrial units, municipalities, gram panchayats and even ashrams on a scale of one to three.
- Plans are, underway to link release of funds for municipalities and gram panchayats to the rating notched up by them on the proposed scale.
- The National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) is working on this three-tier rating system for all industries.
- The government’s motive is twofold, to protect the river as well as take all stakeholders along.
- The government is thinking of linking financial incentives to industry that acquire new technology to treat waste before discharge into the river.
Source: The Economic Times