Solar Photo-Voltaic Programme: Uttarakhand
Every hour the sun beams onto Earth more than enough energy to satisfy global energy needs for an entire year. Solar energy is the technology used to harness the sun’s energy and make it useable. Today, the technology produces less than one tenth of one percent of global energy demand. Solar energy is lauded as an inexhaustible fuel source that is pollution and often noise free. The technology is also versatile. The state government operates the following programs for utilisation of solar energy:
- Distribution of Solar Lanterns:
UREDA distributes solar lanterns under this program. Distribution of Solar Lanterns to All the Households in the International Border Blocks of Uttarakhand under Jawaharlal Nehru National Solar Mission (JNNSM) has been proposed to MNRE. Total project cost is sanctioned by the MNRE. The distribution of solar lanterns will cause saving of around:
- Annual saving of Kerosene: 38 lac litres
- Annual Emission reduction: 11507 Ton of CO2
- Implementation of Solar Lighting System:
Uttarakhand being in Himalayan Region, most of the part of the state is remote and in difficult geographical conditions. Out of 13 districts in Uttarakhand, 11 are hilly.┬á The people living in remote and inaccessible areas are still far away from the basic facilities like electricity, drinking water, road etc. Most of these villages exist in the upper Himalayas having no facility for street lighting.
UREDA since from its formation has installed number solar street lights for facilitating the people living in remote and inaccessible areas. The Solar Street Light will consist 74 Watt Solar PV panel with a 75 H Battery and will have 3-day autonomy.
- Solar Home Light:
For electricity access to the houses in the villages/cities of Uttarakhand, UREDA is installing a LED based Solar Home Light System. The Solar home light system comprises of the LED lamp, battery, PV modules etc.
|White Light Emitting Diode (W-LED)|
|White Colour, minimum 15 lumens when measured from the height of about 2.5 metre|
Mounting of Light
|Wall or Ceiling|
Min 80% total efficiency
|Average duty cycle||
4 hours a day
3 days (Minimum 12 operating hours per permissible discharge)
- Solar Spinning Wheel (Charkha):
UREDA has launched a Solar Charkha programme for people in various districts of Uttarakhand which were using hand operated drop spindle & paddle operated charkha for spinning of Wool & Silk. In order to increase the earnings and enhancing livelihood opportunities of spinners, UREDA has introduce solar powered motorised spinning machine with the help of NGOΓÇÕs like AVANI and TERI. The benefits of this Solar Spinning Wheel are:
- The use of Solar Motorised Charkha can produce about three times more output.
- This device is time saving.
- It is good source of income generation.
- The quality of Wool is better then drop spindle and primitive charkha.
- Introduction of new improved rural technology for enhancing livelihood.
- Use of renewable energy in un-electrified areas.
- Solar Power Plant:
- Grid Connected SPP: Total 12 Projects of cumulative capacity 30 MW have been commissioned, which were allotted through tariff based competitive bidding process. Total 3 Projects of cumulative capacity 5 MW have been commissioned under Generation based Incentive (GBI) scheme.
- Off Grid Solar Power Plant: Total 19 numbers of off-grid solar power plants have been commissioned/ installed in various Govt. buildings in the state of Uttarakhand of cumulative capacity 689 KW
- Roof Top Solar Power Plant: Total 20 numbers of projects have been installed under Uttarakhand Gird Interactive Rooftop and Small Solar Power Plant Scheme.
For More Info: Click Here