- On 5th September, 2015 Government expressed its decision to implement OROP with effect from July 2014.
- The government at present spends Rs 56,000 crores on pensions for over 24 lakh ex-servicemen.
- Manohar Parrikar, defence minister, has said for OROP scheme an estimate of ₹ 8000 to ₹ 10000 crore should be disbursed and to clear the arrears an estimate of Rs 10,000 crore to Rs 12,000 crore should be incurred by the government.
- The minister also stated that the revision would take place once every five years.
- He also said that the contribution of the military and its veterans has been immeasurable
- The announcement comes after three weeks of hectic negotiations between veteran organization and the government