- In the past 15 months, the Modi government has added about 7,000 km of roads to the NH length and is planning to add nearly 50,000 km of roads to NH network in the country in the next six months.
- Out of these major portions of roads connect districts, upcoming business hubs and religious and tourist places with at least two-and-half lane roads.
- Road transport and highways minister Nitin Gadkari has announced to take it to 1.5 lakh km by this year end.
- Flip side of it is converting state highways or major district roads to NHs will increase burden on the Central budget as states will stop spending on maintenance of these stretches.
- Ministry officials said that there is no need for government to spend for maintenance as these are expanded under EPC contracts where contractor has to maintain the road for one year and is also responsible for any defect for four years