Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation under Govt. of India has brought the latest edition of Members of Parliament Local Area Development (MPLAD) Scheme. MPLAD scheme is for Development works and creation of durable community assets. The emphasis is on creation of durable community assets based on locally felt needs in the arenas of roads, electricity, drinking water, health and education etc.
The objective of the scheme is to enable MPs to recommend works of developmental nature with emphasis on the creation of durable community assets based on the locally felt needs to be taken up in their Constituencies.
A Department in the West Bengal State is designated as the Nodal Department and respective District Authority with the overall responsibility of supervision, monitoring and coordination of the MPLADS implementation with the districts and other Line Departments.
- Under the scheme, each MP has the choice to suggest to the District Collector for, works to the tune of Rs.5 Crores per annum to be taken up in his/her constituency.
- MPs are to recommend every year, works costing at least 15% of the MPLAD scheme entitlement for areas inhabited by SC population and 7.5% for areas inhabited by ST population.
- In order to encourage trusts and societies for betterment of tribal people, stipulated amount for building assets will be up to the ceiling of Rs. 75 Lakh.
- MPLAD scheme works can also be implemented in the areas prone to or affected by the calamities like floods, cyclone, Tsunami, earthquake, hailstorm, avalanche, cloud burst, pest attack, landslides, tornado, drought, fire, chemical, biological and radiological hazards.
- Lok Sabha MPs from the non-affected areas of the State can also 4 GUIDELINES OF MPLADS recommend permissible works up to a maximum of Rs.25 lakh per annum in the affected area(s) in that State.
- Books to the extent of Rs. 22 lakh can be purchased for schools, colleges and public libraries belonging to Central, States, UTs and Local Self-Government from MPLADS Fund.
- Cash awards of Rs. 2.5 Lakhs, Rs. 1.5 Lakhs and Rs. 1 lakh will be awarded to the first, second and third prize winner MP respectively for best works.
- In addition to the award money, other administrative expenditure involved in arranging such events including issuing advertisements, holding meetings, etc., subject to a maximum of 10% of the total awards, amount of Rs. 5 Lakhs, Rs. 50,000/- will also be permissible under MPLAD scheme.
- MPs may recommend their MPLADS funds to the Bar Association at the Tehsil/Sub-Division/District level for construction of Building of the Bar Association.