- Financial assistance upto Rs. 50.00 Crore is provided for setting up Mega Food Parks for creation of modern infrastructure facilities for food processing along the value chain from farm to consumer.
- A Mega Food Park is set up in an area of a minimum of 50 acres. Common facilities and enabling infrastructure is created at Central Processing Centre and Infrastructure for primary processing and storage is created near the farm in the form of Primary Processing Centres (PPCs) and Collection Centres (CCs).
- Ministry of Food Processing Industries had sanctioned a Mega Food Park to M/s North East Mega Food Park Pvt. Ltd. at Nalbari, Assam.
- The Central Processing Centre of the Park at Tihu in Nalbari District of Assam has been completed and was inaugurated by Hon’ble Chief Minister, Assam, Shri Tarun Gogoi and Union Minister for Food Processing Industries Smt. Harsimrat Kaur Badal today on 28th May 2015.Minister of State for Home Mr. Kiren Rijiju was also present to grace the occasion.
- This project is having facilities of fully operational industrial sheds for SMEs, developed industrial plots for lease to food processing units, Dry Warehouse of 10000 MT, Cold Storages of 3000 MT, Common Effluent Treatment plant, Quality Control Labs etc.
- The Mega Food Park will leverage an additional investment of about Rs. 250 crore in 30-35 food processing units in the Park and generate a turnover of about Rs. 450-500 Crore annually.
- To give a major boost to the food processing sector by adding value and reducing food wastage and loss at each stage of the supply chain with particular focus on perishables.
- The Park will also provide direct and indirect employment to 6000 people and benefit about 25000-30000 farmers in the CPC and PPC catchment areas.