Biotechnology is a key feature for the socio-economic development of the state.The Development of the various species by modification into their genetic data is referred to as the Biotechnology. To enhance this Madhya Pradesh Government, have their biotechnology policy whose key features are listed below.
- Production of high-yielding, draught and pest – resistant seeds for agriculture and horticulture crops suited to different agro-climatic zones.
- Improvement of the quality of livestock and poultry, especially the breeds indigenous to the state.
- Enhancement of the productive potential of the aquatic eco-system.
- Promotion and cultivation of medicinal and aromatic plants, and the processing and value addition of their produce.
- Production of cost effective drugs that help counter diseases common in the tropical and sub-tropical regions of the country.
- Promote environmentally safe technologies for pollution abatement, especially treatment of urban waste and industrial effluents.
- Afforestation and especially in the quick revival of species which have shown a tendency to decline.
- Generation and use of different types of bio-energy.
- Conservation of the state’s biodiversity and the sustainable use of its biotic resources.
Implementations in Various Fields by State Government:
- Agriculture Animal Husbandry and Fisheries:
- Development of environmental friendly fertilisers and bio-pesticides.
- Encouraging the use of bio-fertilisers and bio pesticides available locally in agriculture.
- Facilities for utilising the benefits of tissue culture.
- Establishing gene banks.
- Betterment in quality of livestock feed to enrich livestock of state.
- Improvement in quality of fish genes, their productivity and disease resistance
- Development of vaccines for both livestock and fishes.
- Genetic Improvement of Forest Trees that balances the need and growth of trees.
- Ecosystem health can be maintained by genetic exchange.
- Balance of ecosystem and tribal dependency trees are genetically improved.
- Medicinal and Aromatic Plants:
- Government encourages cultivation of aromatic plants
- Health and Medical Biotechnology:
- Development of newer and better vaccines for diseases like TB, Cholera, Malaria etc.
- Strategy development for the diseases like malnutrition, faulty diet etc.
- Research on air borne harmful micro-organisms.
- Environment Protection and Bio-energy:
- Treatment of water before discharging into water sources by root zone method
- Use of bio fuels and bio energy is promoted
- Development of microbial methods for treatment of solid and liquid.
- Construction of bio-monitors and bio-indicators for environmental safety shall be promoted.
- Traditional Knowledge and Wisdom & Awareness Generation:
- The traditional techniques that can be modified for the betterment of agriculture and forest produce
- Partnerships with rural and tribal people for research purpose
- This may result in betterment of the backward communities too.
- Improvement in the living standards of the farmers and rural people
- Community Biotechnology Applications:
- Implementation of biotechnology in livestock, agriculture, horticulture etc.
- Implementation of biotechnology on house hold level like fermentation, waste treatment, preservation of foods etc.
- Education and Training:
- Universities will be expanded and under graduates get more exposure.
- Encouragement to the courses such as molecular biology biotechnology, bio-informatics, bio-ethics and related fields.
- Technical courses shall be introduced at the ITIs.
- A human resource plan for the biotechnology sector shall be prepared
- Research and Development:
- The most important work would be the Research and Development.
- Expansion in the research capabilities with time by the support of central ministries.
- The various institution will be linked with each other to optimise use of resources
Strategic Initiatives to be taken by the Government:
Setting up of a world class ‘Institute of Life Sciences and Technology,’ at Bhopal with an adjunct Biotechnology Park for setting up an incubation centre, research laboratories and manufacturing units.
- Establishing a Biotechnology Park, as part of the Special Economic Zone at Indore, with emphasis on agri-biotechnology and pharma-biotechnology units.
- Setting up bio-centres at selected farms of the state agriculture department, State Seeds Corporation and the Krishi Vigyan Kendras of the Agriculture University.
- Expand the bio-village programme of the agriculture department to cover all villages in the state.
- Setting up of a Medicinal & Aromatic Plants Information Exchange.
- Setting up of a world class ‘Institute of Life Sciences and Technology,’ at Bhopal with an adjunct Biotechnology Park for setting up an incubation centre, research laboratories and manufacturing units.
For More Information, Click here