- Central government is looking to enhance maternity leave for working women from three months to six months, virtually double bonus payments to employees and make gratuity portable between jobs.
- Separately, the government is initiating stakeholder consultations to amend the Maternity Benefits Act of 1961 and the Payment of Gratuity Act of 1972.
- One option being considered is to limit the enhanced maternity leave to two children and an employee having a third child would be granted 12 weeks off, in line with the present norm.
- The changes in the Payment of Bonus Act would raise the salary limit for getting a bonus from Rs 10,000 per month to Rs 19,000.
- Gratuity law to do away with the requirement that employees serve at least five years in a single workplace to be eligible for the benefit.