Kochi is finally going to be a smart city as the first phase of the SmartCity project will be inaugurated today. The project inauguration will consist of around 6.5 lakh sq ft. IT tower.
- The project is a joint venture between the Government of Kerala and Dubai based Tecom Investments and will focus on developing world-class high-end digital clusters. According to Dr. Baju George, the MD of the SmartCity project, already four digital design clusters have been identified namely IT, Media, Finance and Research & Innovation. Among these four broad areas, the project will identify areas to create and offer facilities.
- He also has revealed that they have already selected the oil industry. Mr. George also said that the low-end IT activity is moving towards more cost effective destinations like Vietnam, Philippines among others. This is the main reason that the SmartCity project is looking especially for the digital design clusters.
- UAE Minister of Cabinet Affairs as well as the Chairman of Dubai Holding, Mohammed Al Gargawi will unveil the project along with Chief Minister Oommen Chandy and a list of dignitaries including opposition leader V S Achuthanandan, Minster for Industries P K Kunhalikutty and Vice-Chairman and MD of Dubai Holding, Ahmad bin Byat among others.
- Also, a list of 27 companies those will be part of the SmartCity project will also be released today. These companies have already been given around 75% of the total leasable area of the IT tower.
- The first phase of the project will create employment for close to 5000 people. The second phase of the project with 7 towers and surrounding an area of 47 lakh sq ft. will be completed in another 36 months. The second phase is also expected to provide employment to near about 60,000 people.
- The second phase of the SmartCity project will have the tallest IT tower in the whole country. The projects of UAE-based Holiday Group, GEMS International School, Bengaluru based Maratt Projects Pvt. Ltd, Prestige group and Kochi-based Elton Technologies along with SmartCity’s own tower will be featured in the second Phase.
- The third phase of the project will witness the creation of social infrastructures such as hospitals, schools, residential complexes, commercial space, hotels and mobility hub etc.