- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) celebrates 40th anniversary of two of its pioneering projects Aryabhatta and SITE (Satellite Instructional Television Experiment).
- Both projects were conducted when India did not had its own launching capability
- SITE was an experiment in deploying space technology for tele-education.
- Aryabhatta tested feasibility of tele-medicine though its primary objective was to gather scientific data.
- ISRO made tremendous advancements. Now it is capable of designing, fabricating and launching a range of satellites and offers launch services to other countries
- ISRO positioned India as a leading space managing nation launching satellites for several applications like communication, broadcasting, weather forecasting, disaster management, remote sensing, cartography, search and rescue, distant education and strategic use.
Source: Defense News