- Recently a hotlines or secure lines of communication between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and US President Barack Obama and their national security advisers became operational.
- In 2004, India and Pakistan agreed to establish hotlines at the level of foreign secretaries and US military helped to establish this hotline
- In 2010, New Delhi and Beijing announced to establish a hotline at the foreign minister level and it is yet to become operational.
- India-US hotline is the first communication link that India has at the level of head of state. Whereas US has hotline with three other countries – Russia, Great Britain and China.
- Objective of this hotline is exchange of views on key issues between the leaders of the two largest democracies of the world
- At joint press meet with Obama in New Delhi on January 25, Modi had told reporters that the two leaders agreed upon having regular summits.