- To accomplish the necessity of nuclear power reactors, India will sign a contract with Kazakhstan to procure 5,000 metric tonnes of uranium.
- Two countries will renew their old contract under which Kazakhstan supplied uranium to India,where they already have civil nuclear cooperation since January 2009.
- However, the contract to supply uranium ended in December 2014.
- Kazakh nuclear company,KazAtomProm supplied 600 MT of uranium ore concentrate in 2010-11, 350 MT in 2011-12, 402.5 MT in 2012-13 and 460 MT in 2013-14.
- Kazakhstan is one of the major uranium suppliers to India.
- Kazakhstan has 15 per cent of the world’s uranium resources and became the leading uranium-producing country in 2009.
Source:The Economic Times