- Energy-hungry India is looking to import liquefied natural gas (LNG) from Canada to meet its requirements.
- Canada could potentially supply a significant amount of the 44 billion cubic metres of natural gas that India is forecast to import annually by 2025.
- In March 2014, Indian Oil Corp (IOC) has already taken a 10 per cent stake in the Pacific NorthWest LNG.
- India, in 2009, had for the first time imported Canadian oil. In 2014, India imported 1,500 barrels of Canadian oil per day.
- Both the nations highlighted Canada and India’s growing energy partnership, to help create jobs and long-term economic prosperity for both countries.
- Canada and India will work together to enhance skill development and the areas of clean energy technologies.
Source:The Economic Times