- Ministry of external affairs decided to rely on Aadhaar card for identification of the applicant for passport and on the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) database for validation of his/her criminal antecedents with the simplified police verification system.
- The home and law ministries, and the Intelligence Bureau, the government, on the directions of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has made Aadhaar card a mandatory requirement for issuance of passports.
- Police verification can be done later with applicant’s self-declaration of aspects like criminal antecedents, criminal proceedings or citizenship.
- The passport would be dispatched within 7 days from the date he/she applied online.
- “The applicant may now be given the address of the police station responsible for verification at the time of issue of passport to help him/her actively pursue and complete the process of verification before travelling abroad” said a ministry official.